"The Leadership & Administration Track is a formal 1-year program that offers structured exposure to the field of healthcare leadership, administration, and management. The Chief Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrator and assigned mentors guide residents through the experience."
- Accommodated Residents: 1-4
- Combination track? Yes (for discussion)
- Institutions: JHH, JHBMC, HCGH, SH, SMH
1. Understand leadership perspectives and models of healthcare executives
2. Understand methods of business assessment and process improvement.
3. Understand the science of throughput at the department and hospital levels
4. Understand the financial and operational models of both academic and community based Emergency Medicine programs.
5. Experience operations and administratively based research relating to Emergency Medicine and hospital throughput
6. Understand key performance indicators
7. Understand and practice principles of project management and data analysis
8. Enhance budgetary and financial knowledge
Operations Research Project
Residents conduct a year-long administratively-based research project mentored by a faculty member and leader. Examples are:
Examine the linkages between clinical operations and achieving quality outcomes that meet national quality standards.
Explore the interdependencies between clinical operations and billing practices and outcomes.
Evaluate workflows, improve processes, and enhance efficiencies in the clinical environment.
Conduct research based on programmatic financial quantification of programs, design and evaluation, cost-benefit, and cost-effectiveness.
Didactics and Seminars
Residents attend didactic sessions presented by organizational leaders designed to develop their professional and functional competencies (listed below). Additionally, residents participate in one national conference and multiple training seminars and webinars. Residents attend a 4-day Lean Six Sigma course associated with their project and may pursue their Six Sigma Green Belts.
Didactic sessions include:
Physician Practice Management
Strategic Planning & Market Analysis
Financial Monitoring & Control
Systems Engineering in Health Care
Organizational and Executive
Participation in leadership and administration meetings exposes the residents to multidisciplinary planning and collaborative efforts throughout the organization.
We coordinate executive leadership luncheons exclusively for our Leadership FAST residents with senior leaders from across Johns Hopkins. These include the president of the hospital, president of the health system, chief operating officer of the academic division and the president of the community hospital at Howard County