Disaster & Austere Medicine
"The Disaster & Austere Medicine Track introduces residents to the specialty of disaster preparedness and response as well as to the practice of providing healthcare in an austere setting (post-disaster, wilderness medicine and global health)"
- Accommodated Residents: 2
- Combination track? Yes (EMS, Tactical, Int.)
- Institutions: JHH, Bloomberg Public Health
1. Participation in Disaster Planning Activities
2. Participation in Disaster Response Activities
3. Participation in Disaster Research Activities
4. Learning the skills to provide care in a resource-constrained setting
Operations Research Project
Ongoing Research and Publication Projects:
Quality assessment in disaster response.
Development of an emergency department triage tool for disaster surge.
Disaster rapid assessment
Volunteer disaster response management
Possible leadership opportunities (Teaching Assistant) in the Wilderness Medicine Course.
Lectures in the Hopkins School of Medicine Disaster course
Potential organizational collaboration:
American Red Cross
Centers for Disease Control
National and international disasters
If an event occurs there is the potential to deploy into the field for assessment and intervention activities.